Blueberry-Lemon Beer Bread
Beer Bread With Blueberries & Lemon
This delicious Blueberry-Lemon Beer Bread is a fantastically easy-to-make quick bread recipe. Perfect for breakfast, snacking, or dessert.
The Joys of Quick Bread
Why are quick breads a joy to make? Making quick bread doesn’t require special tools or difficult cooking methods. And if you feel that yeast is temperamental, you’re not alone. Thankfully, quick bread uses other leaveners, so… no yeast allowed!
Quick Bread Baking Basics
Here are a few tips you can use to assure a successful loaf of quick bread.
- Don’t overmix: Overmixing once dry ingredients are added to the batter will make bread tough. Stir in the flour and other “dries” ONLY until just combined.
- Dust mix-ins with flour: If your recipe calls for fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, or other scrumptious stir-ins, your best bet is to toss them with a little flour before stirring them into the batter. This prevents all those morsels from sinking to the bottom of the loaf.
- Test for doneness: When you think your bread is done, push a toothpick, cake tester, or thin skewer into its center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done; if there are gooey bits on the pick, bake a little longer.
- Delay the glaze: If you’re making a powdered sugar glaze for your quick bread, cool the bread to room temperature first. When glaze is added to warm bread, it simply seeps right in, which can lead to sad, soggy bread.
The Tools of the Trade
Make sure you have all the necessary equipment before you start your bread-making.
- 5×9″ loaf pan – if yours is a different size, adjust baking time
- mixing bowls
- mixing spoons – some people feel that mixing quick bread by hand gives a better texture than using a mixer
- measuring cups and measuring spoons
- flexible spatulas – perfect for folding in the blueberries AND scraping out ALL the batter from the bowl
Grab the Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this Blueberry-Lemon Beer Bread:
blueberry-flavored beer (or other)
Why Use Beer in a Quick Bread Recipe?
The beer acts as the leavener in this recipe. Plus it gives the baked bread more character and depth of flavor.
Do you have to use blueberry-flavored beer? Absolutely not. If you can’t find it–or you just want to use what you have on hand–go for it. There may be a subtle taste difference, but the bread will still taste great.
Now, onto our recipe for delectable blueberry quick bread with lemon and beer.
Blueberry Beer Bread
INGREDIENTS (makes 1 loaf)
2 C. plus 1 T. flour, divided
2 T. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
¾ C. sugar
¼ C. coconut oil, room temperature
2 T. unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
Zest of 1 lemon
⅔ C. blueberry ale (beer)
5 T. fresh lemon juice, divided
1 C. fresh blueberries
1 C. powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a 5×9″ loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In a big mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and oil. Add the applesauce, vanilla, and zest; mix until combined. In a 1-cup measuring cup, combine the beer and 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the beer mixture to the applesauce mixture, starting and ending with the dry ingredients; beat until just combined.
In a separate bowl, mix the blueberries with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour (this helps keep the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the bread). Fold the blueberries into the batter and pour into the loaf pan, smoothing out the top. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool for 15 minutes.
Carefully remove the bread from the pan and let it cool completely.
Once the bread is cool, stir together the powdered sugar and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled bread.
Do you love Rada products?
You’re not alone! Individuals and small businesses have sold Rada Cutlery for decades. If you’d like to earn EXTRA CASH selling Rada products from your home or store, at events like farmers’ markets, or online, find out more here. We’d love to work with you!
Check out some of the Rada products that customers all over the country have chosen as their favorites.
You May Also Like
Have these grab-and-go spinach frittatas on hand. Healthy breakfast or lunch idea for kids and adults. Made in advance, they’re delicious and nutritious.
If you’re tired of making more food than you need and then eating leftovers all, week, here’s the solution. This delicious recipe–scaled for 2 people–uses just one skillet. Quick and simple cleanup.
This recipe turns out the most irresistibly delicious yeasted dinner rolls. With recipes for flavored butters too, you’ll create the best side dish ever.