Bring out the flavor of your scrumptious garden-fresh tomatoes with this to-die-for pasta salad! This pasta salad comes from our cookbook Picnics, Potlucks & Barbeques.
Feta and Tomato Pasta Salad Recipe
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. spiral pasta
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (6 oz.) pkg. feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ c. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ c. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c. chopped fresh tomato
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked but still firm.
Dice your tomatoes into small chunks along with your onions. The Rada Cutlery Tomato Slicer works well for this task. It won’t squash your tomatoes!
Drain and rinse pasta under cold water. In a large bowl, toss pasta with chopped green onions, feta cheese, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and chopped tomato. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Tomato Cutting Tips
It’s not hard to cut a tomato using the Rada Cutlery Tomato Slicer, but there are some things you should know about cutting this sensitive fruit.
1. Don’t choose a tomato based on color. It’s true that you want a nice, deep red tomato, but you also want it bruise-free. Make sure it’s firm but not too firm. Also, be sure that it really smells like a tomato. It is too ripe if it doesn’t.
2. Use a Tomato Slicer. So many tomatoes end up squished and mangled because they are not cut with the right utensil. Be sure to use something serrated and gently saw through the skin of the tomato. The Rada Cutlery Tomato Slicer is specially designed for this task. You’ll have perfect tomatoes every time!
3. Prep the right way. Use your Tomato Slicer to carefully cut off the stem. Then use a very small, sharp Paring Knife with a gentle grasp on the tomato to carefully remove the core by going in at an angle. Then turn the tomato so you can pop out the now cone-like core.
4. For tomato sauce, chop rougly. Don’t worry about removing the seeds or making perfect slices. For making tomato sauce, cut into slices and then stack two at a time. Then with your Tomato Knife, cut through each stack, rotating 90 degrees each time until you have your desired size of chunks.
5. But take your time when dicing. Cut your whole tomato into quarters then carefully remove the seeds with a spoon. Slice what’s remaining into thin strips, one quarter at a time. Then dice into cubes.
Let’s Make Some Pasta Already!
Watch this video and make your own Feta & Tomato Pasta Salad step-by-step with helpful tips along the way.
Feta Tomato Pasta Salad Video Transcript:
Hi Kristy at the Rada Kitchen and today I’m going to share a recipe for Feta and Tomato Pasta Salad. This is a delicious recipe, one of them out of our Picnics, Potlucks & Barbeques cookbook. This cookbook is filled with salads, side dishes, main dishes, and desserts.
You will need one 16 oz. package of spiral pasta, a 6 oz package of feta cheese that’s crumbled, a half cup of balsamic vinegar, a ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil, 2 green onions, and two cups of chopped, fresh tomatoes.
So the first thing you want to do is get a large pot of water boiling on the stove, lightly salted. And we’re going to add our 16 oz. of pasta. You want to cook it 8-10 minutes; you want it cooked, but you still want it firm.
So while the pasta’s boiling, I’m going to chop up my 2 green onions and two cups of chopped tomatoes. It’s about two tomatoes. So using the Rada Tomato Knife, it’s not only for tomatoes but also slices up green onions too. I usually use a lot of the green. It adds a lot of color, makes salad really pretty.
I’m going to quarter this tomato. This makes really easy cutting—this Rada Tomato Slicer. It easily cuts through the skin. It’s good for not only tomatoes but it also slices through crusty bread. Without squashing it. If you have one that has a lot of seeds, you might want to remove some.
So I’ve cooked the pasta, I’ve rinsed it in cold water and I’ve drained it again. Now I’m going to add this to a large bowl. I’m going to add my tomatoes and green onions from the Rada Cutting Board. It’s great to cut on and then you can funnel your ingredients into your bowl.
We’re going to toss the tomatoes, onions, and pasta with the balsamic vinegar, our olive oil, and our feta cheese crumbles. Once you have that tossed together, you’ll want to toss it and put it in the refrigerator for an hour. That’s just one of the delicious recipes from our Picnics, Potlucks & Barbeques cookbook.
End of Feta Tomato Pasta Salad Video Transcript.