American musician Elvis Presley is one of the enduring cultural icons of the 20th century, known as much for his unique style and colorful personality as his beloved music. One of the many notable facets of the King’s character was his love for comfort food. From banana sandwiches to fried chicken, Elvis’ table was always full of delicious dishes. But one of Elvis’ very favorite meals was one that couldn’t be found just anywhere. In fact, Elvis once had his private jet fly him over 1,000 miles to indulge his craving!
That craving was for the Fool’s Gold Loaf, Elvis’ favorite sandwich. The Fool’s Gold Loaf was served by the Colorado Mine Company, a restaurant in Denver, Colorado. On February 1, 1976, Elvis was entertaining two friends from Colorado at Graceland, his home in Memphis, Tennessee. The discussion turned to the sandwich, which Elvis decided he had to have right then. The group drove to the Memphis airport and boarded the Lisa Marie, Elvis’ private jet. After two hours and a $16,000 flight ($70,000 today!), Elvis arrived at the Denver airport. The restaurant’s owner greeted Elvis and his friends with 22 Fool’s Gold Loafs. Elvis enjoyed the sandwiches and flew back to Memphis without ever leaving the Denver airport!
Here we have the recipe for the very same sandwich that got the King all shook up! Elvis could supposedly handle an entire Fool’s Gold Loaf sandwich by himself, but you’ll probably want to split one up for several people.
Fool’s Gold Loaf Sandwich Recipe
Ingredients you will need:
- 2 T. margarine
- 1 loaf French white bread
- 1 lb. bacon
- 1 jar smooth peanut butter
- 1 jar grape jelly
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice French bread lengthwise.
Spread on all sides with margarine. Bake for 15 minutes.
While bread is baking, pan-fry bacon and drain on a paper towel.
Hollow out the interior of the baked bread.
Add jelly to one half and peanut butter to other half. Use whole jars for each!
Add cooked bacon. Close sandwich and slice as desired.
Serve and enjoy the sandwich fit for the King!
The Best Bread Knife!
The Rada 10″ Bread Knife is the best way to cut flawless slices of bread! Featuring a serrated blade, it easily cuts through all types of bread, from French to pumpernickel, making it a must-have for bread and sandwich lovers. The 10″ Bread Knife is backed by a Lifetime Guarantee, and, like all Rada products, is made in the USA!
Although Elvis passed away in 1977, his impact on music and pop culture is unsurpassed. Even decades after his death, every man, woman, and child in America is familiar with Elvis. He recorded dozens of albums and starred in 33 feature films, ensuring that fans still have a wealth of Elvis material to enjoy. He was also widely known for his generosity, as he would often give extravagant gifts such as jewels and automobiles to everyone from family to total strangers.
No Elvis fan’s life is complete without a trip to Graceland, Elvis’ Memphis estate. Colorfully decorated and filled to the brim with Elvis’ personal possessions, it’s a delight to visit. Even those who aren’t dedicated Elvis fans are sure to love the fascinating displays, while all visitors can pay their respects to the King at his grave site, where he rests alongside his beloved parents and grandmother. You can even set foot aboard the Lisa Marie, the private jet Elvis took to Denver to grab a late-night Fool’s Gold Loaf!
The Top Nonprofit Fundraiser!
Tens of thousands of nonprofit groups choose Rada Cutlery for their fundraiser! Hosting a Rada fundraiser comes with a number of incredible advantages that help ensure a successful effort!
Here are five great reasons why Rada Cutlery is the perfect choice for nonprofit fundraising:
1. Products People Need – Rada Cutlery offers 26 phenomenal knives as well as 21 kitchen utensils, 42 cookbooks, and six stoneware baking pans. 28 gift sets make the perfect present, while 43 delicious Quick Mixes make incredible dishes. A Lifetime Guarantee protects all cutlery, utensils, and gift sets, so Rada products last for life!
2. Huge Profits on Sales – Most fundraisers offer small profits, but Rada Cutlery fundraisers give your group an amazing 40% average profit on items sold. Your group’s efforts go even further with Rada!
3. Three Unique Ways to Sell – A Rada fundraiser offers three sales methods designed to maximize your group’s profit! Catalog sales is a tried-and-true, classic method that sees your group offering catalogs to family, friends, neighbors, and coworkers. Event sales feature a personal touch, taking advantage of crowds and interaction with our stellar products. Last but not least is online sales, which lets the fundraiser utilize the power of the Internet to make easy sales to supporters close and far. Use one, two, or all three methods to earn money for your cause!
4. Stellar Customer Service – Fundraisers are known to enthusiastically tout the quality of Rada’s customer service. Our friendly, helpful representatives are committed to ensuring that each fundraiser is a success!
5. USA-Made Products – Every Rada product, without exception, is made entirely in the USA. American workers craft each item with unparalleled skill, making products your group and its supporters can be proud of. Visit our website to learn more about how our employees’ skill and dedication make Rada products the best for your fundraiser!
Follow Rada Cutlery Online!
Rada Cutlery is on your favorite social media platforms. Be sure to follow us for the latest recipes, Rada news, and more!
- Rada Cutlery on Facebook
- Rada Cutlery on Google +
- Rada Cutlery on Pinterest
- Rada Cutlery on Twitter
- Rada Cutlery on YouTube
Fool’s Gold Loaf Video Recipe Transcript
Start Video Transcript
Hi, Kristi in the Rada Kitchen, and today I’m going to show you to make Fool’s Gold Loaf Sandwich. This was one of Elvis Presley’s favorite foods.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Slice a loaf of French bread lengthwise. Spread 2 tablespoons of margarine over all the sides. Bake the bread for 15 minutes. While the bread is baking, fry 1 lb. of bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels. When the loaf is baked, hollow out the interior, leaving the desired amount of bread within the walls of the loaf.
Layer the inside of the loaf with a thick layer of peanut butter. Don’t be stingy. Use lots! Add a layer of grape jelly. Again, use lots. Arrange the bacon slices inside the bread. Close the loaf and slice.
And there you have the Fool’s Gold Loaf Sandwich. Elvis loved this sandwich so much he flew his private jet to Denver, Colorado just to have one. Thanks for watching! Subscribe to our YouTube channel, and visit us on our website at RadaCutlery.com.
End of Video Transcript